A survey has revealed that 1 in 4 Londoners have had medical treatment delayed by the NHS AND that their condition has subsequently got worse as a result.
This indicates the unseen cost of COVID, that millions are simply not getting the treatments that they should for health concerns that are not related to coronavirus.
The survey of 2000 Londoners was commissioned by Patient Claim Line, a medical negligence solicitors.
Other key findings were:
- 25% had medical treatment delayed by the NHS and their condition worsened as a result
- 21% had delayed medical treatments
- 27% are or have considered delaying treatment
- 49% said their condition worsened as a result of delaying treatment
Of those who had delayed treatment, the reasons why people were delaying treatment exposed some big issues:
- 39% did so to avoid putting extra strain on the NHS
- 60% did so due to risks about catching COVID whilst undergoing treatment or therapy
Those in London are not alone, as the survey also found worrying statistics in the general UK population:
- 73% believe that the pandemic will have a direct effect on their medical treatment this year
- 49% have had their medical treatment delayed by the NHS since the pandemic started; of which 45% have seen their condition worsen as a result
Patients are encouraged to use GP services and continue with treatment as much as possible. It is acknowledged that the effects of delayed medical treatment can be extremely serious. Yet that isn’t always straightforward, with appointments very difficult to come by in certain areas.
Private GPs & Healthcare, London
For those wanting good access to GP healthcare, membership of The Smart Clinics offers an alternative option with attractive benefits:
- Private GPs based in 4 London locations
- 30 minute standard appointment times – over 3 times the average NHS appointment
- Short waiting lists
- Evening and weekend clinics available
- Telephone and video appointment options
- Many health tests can be arranged privately with faster results
- Team of medical experts for fast and efficient referral
The Smart Clinics
Private Healthcare London
The Smart Clinics is a private healthcare company established in 2013, offering a membership-based alternative to NHS care for individuals and families. Vital health services include private GPs, travel clinic, sexual health, skin treatments, psychology, physiotherapy and much more. There are also a range of children’s services available, including immunisation and health visitors.
The Company describes itself as:
“London’s pre-eminent integrated healthcare clinics”
For more information contact us on email@example.com or call 020 7052 0070.