‘Fit to Fly’
Demand is soaring for pre-travel PCR tests after the government confirmed relaxations of travel restrictions.
Travel bookings have surged since the announcement that fully vaccinated passengers and their children could return from amber-listed countries without quarantine after 19th July. EasyJet said that bookings were up 400% for amber destinations after transport secretary, Grant Shapps, confirmed the change in policy.
Easyjet Chief Executive, Johan Lundgren, said:
“We have been delighted with the customer response to the removal of amber list quarantine for the fully vaccinated, so Europe has now turned green for the double jabbed.”
PCR Tests in London
The Smart Clinics is now offering PCR ‘fit to fly’ pre-travel swab tests at all its London clinics:
- Book to have your PCR test at one of 4 conveniently located clinics. Please time your appointment carefully in accordance with the requirements of your destination
- We’ll call prior your appointment to run through pre-testing checks and check you are not showing any current symptoms of covid
- At your appointment, a GP will take a swab using a long swab stick; usually from the inside of your nose and the back of your throat. That sample is then sent to an independent external laboratory
- The GP will inform you of the outcome of the test and give appropriate advice depending on results
Results normally take 48 hours but can be up to 72 hours at busy times. Our advisors will give latest information on this and help work out when is best for you to visit, based on your chosen destination. Regulations and requirements for travel vary by country and are changing rapidly, so please do check with your airline, travel agent and insurer to get the latest travel advice based on your destination.
Pre-Travel Requirements Vary
Travellers are warned to check the pre-holiday Covid test requirements carefully. These vary widely as each country has set its own standards and criteria for entry.
- Many major destinations require a PCR test prior to travel
- Most need to be done within 72 hours of arrival, but some destinations allow 5-7 days
- Some destinations allow Antigen (rapid flow) test within the 48 hours before arrival as an alternative to PCR – but not all
- Some destinations offer exemption for ‘double jabbed’ travellers, i.e., if you’ve had both coronavirus vaccinations (at least 15 days earlier), you do not need to test before travel BUT some destinations still require pre-travel testing even for those who are fully vaccinated
The requirements are subject to change, so the message is to read them carefully based on the destination you are travelling to. Good sources of information include:
Coronavirus testing services, London
The Smart Clinics offers a comprehensive range of coronavirus tests at its London clinics:
- Simple Blood test From £48
- Tests for antibodies – a ‘Have I Had It’ test
- Results in around 10 minutes
- Available from the age of 16 upwards from our Wandsworth, Bellevue Rd clinic
- Prices £48 for members, £99 non-members:
- COVID Swab PCR Test With Independent Lab from £195
- COVID Rapid Antigen test from £120
Test To Release
For travellers returning from amber countries who are NOT fully vaccinated, the test to Release scheme is still an option for shortening the quarantine period. Travellers can arrange to pay for a private test and being released early provided they receive a negative COVID-19 test result.
The Smart Clinics offers test to release at all its London clinics.
The Smart Clinics
The Smart Clinics is best known for its unique membership based private GP service with access to a friendly team of experienced doctors, which entitles individuals, families and corporate members to unlimited GP access for a monthly fee. Private dentistry is also available as an optional extra and available in their Chelsea clinic.
For more information contact us on email@example.com or call 020 7052 0070.