It is now understood that long COVID has affected large numbers in the UK with tiredness, loss of smell, aches/pains and short breath just a few of the potential symptoms.
Long COVID or ‘post-COVID-19 syndrome is a condition where patients experience symptoms persisting more than four weeks after the first suspected COVID-19 illness.
According to ONS (Office of National Statistics) figures:
- An estimated 1.0 million people in the UK were experiencing self-reported long COVID as of 2nd May
- 869,000 first had COVID-19 at least 12 weeks previously
- 376,000 first had COVID-19 at least a year previously
- 650,000 said their symptoms was affecting their day to day activities with 192,000 saying their normal life had been affected a lot
- Common symptoms experienced were:
- Fatigue – 547,000 people
- Shortness of breath – 405,000
- Muscle ache – 313,000
- Concentration difficulties – 285,000
Other symptoms can include
- Ongoing loss of smell
- Chest pain
- Joint pain, pins and needles
- Depression, anxiety
- Tinnitus, ear ache
- Nausea, weight loss, diarrhoea, stomach ache
- Headaches, cough, temperature
Long-COVID can have a devastating impact on quality of life, so it is important to get in touch with a doctor to discuss what care can be provided to help manage the symptoms and work towards your recovery.
Private GPs & Healthcare
Patients who are struggling to get an appointment with NHS GP may consider private doctors as an alternative.
- 30 minute standard appointment times – over 3 times the average NHS appointment
- Short waiting lists
- Evening and weekend clinics available
- Telephone and video appointment options
- Many health tests can be arranged privately with faster results
- Team of medical experts for fast and efficient referral
Vaccinate to avoid long-COVID
Research has shown evidence that vaccinating is the best way to avoid getting long COVID. Dr David Strain, a senior clinical lecturer at the University of Exeter, explained:
“Our recent work has demonstrated that the majority of people suffering with long COVID benefit from vaccination, and clearly the best way to prevent long COVID is to not get COVID in the first instance.”
Vaccinations are now available for over 18s in the UK. Book NHS vaccination online.
Alternatively, The Smart Clinics may now be able to arrange the NHS coronavirus vaccine in London for members of its Medical Scheme (subject to NHS availability) – COVID Vaccine For Members.
The Smart Clinics has had many enquiries from patients who would like to arrange vaccination and the company is delighted to be able to make arrangements for its members during the NHS roll out.
This service complements The Smart Clinics’ Coronavirus antibody testing services, which are available at:
The company offers a choice of coronavirus tests options at its London clinics:
- Simple Blood test
- This is a proper test based on a blood sample
- Results available in around 10 minutes
- COVID Swab PCR Test
- Swab test with a GP, samples sent to an external lab
- Popular ‘Pre-Travel’ or ‘Fit to Fly’ PCR testing
- Results take 72 hours so please allow time before your journey
- COVID Rapid Antigen test
- Swab test from the back of the throat and your nasal cavity with an in-house specialist
- High levels of accuracy and confidence in the results
- On site lab – results in around 15 minutes
- Test To Release
- For international travel
- Shortens quarantine from 10 to 5 days
- Official provider
More information → COVID Tests at The Smart Clinics
The Smart Clinics
The Smart Clinics is best known for its unique membership based private GP service with access to a friendly team of experienced doctors, which entitles individuals, families and corporate members to unlimited GP access for a monthly fee. Private dentistry is also available as an optional extra.
For more information contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7052 0070.