The Oral Health Foundation campaign National Smile Month is now on, running from 17th May to 17th June 2021.
National Smile Month is the UK’s largest and longest running campaign to promote good oral health and is backed by major names in the industry from Invisalign, Oral-B and Philips Sonicare to Listerine, TePe brushes, Wrigley and GSK.
The Smart Clinics are fully behind the campaign and supporting the drive to raise awareness of important oral health issues, thereby enhancing physical and mental health.
Guide to Better Brushing
This year, National Smile Month has produced a guide to help Brits improve their teeth brushing skills.
The Guide to Better Brushing promotes twice daily toothbrushing as the most important thing you can do to keep your teeth healthy and strong.
The guide explains:
“Twice daily toothbrushing and daily cleaning between your teeth is important because it removes plaque.
“If plaque isn’t removed, it continues to build up and could lead to a number of oral diseases such as tooth
decay and gum disease. Over time, this can lead to tooth loss.”
Good oral health is not only beneficial for your teeth, gums and mouth, but there are overall wellbeing benefits too. Gum disease has been linked with a number of general health conditions; including heart disease, stroke, early onset dementia. early/low-weight births. diabetes and erectile dysfunction.
The guide includes vital advice on:
- Type of toothbrush – electric vs manual
- When to change your toothbrush
- How to brush – techniques and tips
- Interdental cleaning (flossing/brushes)
Top Teeth Tips
National Smile Month highlights and promotes key messages which are simple and well-understood. These measures go a long way towards helping to develop and maintain good oral health:
- Brush your teeth twice a day (including last thing at night) using fluoride toothpaste
- Beware of snacking and cut down on the frequency of sugary foods and drinks
- Visit your dentist regularly, as often as they recommend
- Start interdental cleaning using interdental brushes or floss before you brush. This loosens bacteria and food debris from between our teeth, allowing brushing to be much more successful at removing plaque
- Spit, don’t rinse in order to keep the fluoride in the mouth where it can help oral health by strengthening the tooth enamel, making it more resistant to tooth decay
- Try a fluoride mouthwash to help to clear debris and stop plaque from building. A supplement to brushing twice daily, never a replacement
- It’s never too early or too late to improve oral health routine
National Smile Month is organised by health charity, the Oral Health Foundation (previously known as the British Dental Health Foundation).
See http://www.nationalsmilemonth.org/ for further details.
Private Dental Care London
The Smart Clinics based in Chelsea, North London offers private dental treatment for all the family in its superbly equipped clinic with a highly experienced team of dentists. The dental team offer the latest treatments including general dentistry services for all the family with fillings, crowns, extractions and bridges. The Smart Clinics also offers cosmetic dentistry and Invisalign teeth straightening.
Dentistry membership is available on its own or as an addition to the medical membership at reduced cost and entitles patients to a series of benefits and discounts. Non-members are also welcome to access our services on an ad hoc basis, subject to availability of appointments (priority to members).
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7052 0070.
Private Healthcare London
The Smart Clinics is a private healthcare company established in 2013, offering a membership-based alternative to NHS care for individuals and families.
The Company describes itself as:
London’s pre-eminent integrated healthcare clinics
Telephone our team on 020 7052 0070.