The Smart Clinics is delighted to offer a menopause clinic in conjunction with The Female health Clinic.
The clinic specialises in supporting women through life’s changes. They offer expert assessment of your symptoms and evidence-based, clinically-safe treatments to address the symptoms of menopause.
Ongoing review ensures that the treatment is modified and adjusted to meet the needs of your body as natural hormone production diminishes.
We understand that menopause can be physically and emotionally debilitating for years. It can often affect women’s relationships and work as women struggle with the symptoms on a day to day basis. Our sympathetic and comprehensive service encompasses all phases of the menopause:
- Perimenopause (pre-menopause)
- Post-menopause (after menopause)
Some of the more common symptoms of the menopause include:
- Hot flushes
- Night sweats
- Aching joints
- Irregular periods
- Vaginal dryness
- Painful sex
- Lack of libido
- Low mood and depression
- Weight gain
- Mood swings
- Loss of collagen (dry hair, nails and skin)
- Tiredness, lethargy
This list is not comprehensive and it is important to remember that menopause is a very individual experience. Some women will have different symptoms and the severity can vary as well. There are also a number of more unusual symptoms and doctors are still learning about menopause and how to manage it.
Menopause Clinic Step By Step
Our menopause clinic process starts with a thorough diagnosis of the issues before prescribing medications alongside lifestyle advice for a blended or holistic approach to providing the most satisfactory solution for our patients.
- Complete a simple online symptom questionnaire
- Blood tests to measure current hormone balance and provide a benchmark for future improvements
- Consultation with our Doctor to include assessment of menopause symptoms plus discussion of previous medical history
- Physical exam to include blood pressure, height and weight.
- An individual treatment plan will be developed specifically for your symptoms offering tailored HRT where appropriate. This may include oestrogen, testosterone and progesterone.
- Medication can be prescribed via Dr Fawcett’s online pharmacy or if you prefer we can approach your GP to prescribe for you.
In addition to HRT, the menopause clinic will provide additional advice to complement hormone replacement; including nutritional guidance and lifestyle.
Types of HRT
There are many different options available to doctors and patients
- HRT hormones – most women take a combination of the hormones oestrogen and progestogen, although some take oestrogen only
- HRT delivery – options include tablets, skin patches, gels and vaginal creams, pessaries or rings
- HRT treatment plans – HRT medicine may be taken ongoing or in cycles where progestogen is only every few weeks while oestrogen is daily
Facts About Hormone Replacement Therapy
Although there has been some controversy linking HRT to breast cancer, recent evidence says that the risks of HRT are small and are usually outweighed by the benefits to the patient.
- HRT can help relieve most menopausal symptoms, including hot flushes, night sweats, mood swings and reduced sex drive
- It can also help prevent thinning of the bones, which can lead to fracture (osteoporosis); which is more common after the menopause
- Taking HRT has been shown to reduce the incidence of heart attacks, strokes and Alzheimer’s disease and improve sexuality.
- Oestrogen users also live about 1.5 years longer than non-users.
- Only about 15% of women at risk take oestrogens and the vast majority abandon HRT within a year due to a combination of things including breast cancer, fear of weight gain, reluctance to have periods or the PMS type symptoms that occur with cyclical progestogen
Find Out more
Meet The Smart Clinics Team
Make An Appointment
Services are available through our a affordable membership packages or on a drop in 'pay as you go' basis. High quality medical healthcare is readily available:
- Longer appointment times
- No waiting lists
- Evening and weekend appointments
- Telephone, video and in-person consultations
Call our team on 020 7052 0070
- Chelsea - Hollywood Rd: Option 2
- South Ken - Thurloe Place: Option 4
- Wandsworth - Northcote Rd: Option 5
- Wandsworth - Bellevue Rd: Option 6
Lines open 8.30-5.30 Monday to Friday, 9.00-12.00 Saturday