In the UK, the NHS provides subsidised or even free dental care for legal residents, but many people choose to pay for private dentistry.
So what’s the difference?
NHS Dental Care
Dentistry provided on the NHS is subsidised by the government. It’s not free (apart from certain categories), but you still don’t pay the full cost of treatment – so NHS treatment is less expensive than private, with Band 1 priced at £13.50 for a dental exam, X rays or basic scale and polish.
However, there are some limitations to NHS dental treatment
- Not all treatments are covered under NHS dentistry:
- it is focused around dental health and functionality not aesthetics
- the most common treatments are Check Ups, Fillings, Crowns, Dentures
- Due to time and budget constraints:
- care will focus on fixing current problems rather than a more long term and preventative view
- more cost effective materials and laboratories tend to be used for NHS work
- government imposes limits on the amount of NHS treatment each practice can provide each financial year
- Limited appointments on the NHS, especially in certain geographical areas
10 Benefits of Private Dentistry
So what are the attractions of seeing a private dentist?
- Range of Services – A private dentist tends to have a much broader range of options
- Preventative Care – The emphasis in private dentistry is to not only fix current problems, but also consider the patient’s long term oral health
- Quality Materials – Private dentists generally have access to a greater range of materials
- Latest Equipment – A private practice is more inclined to invest in the latest dental technology for diagnostics and treatment
- Availability – while NHS dentists are now scarce, with some patients having to travel miles to find one with space, it is far easier to find a private dentist
- Speed – A key advantage of private dentists is that they tend to be more readily available and tend to offer a service with shorter waiting times
- Flexibility – While NHS provision tends to be 9-5pm, private practices often offer a wider range with early morning, lunchtime, evening or weekend appointments
- Choice – Private surgeries often have a team of GPs and a choice as to who you see. Excellent for those that might, for personal reasons, prefer a female doctor or one who knows their history or whom they feel empathy with
- Quality Time – Private dental care services allow for longer appointment times, so that the dentist can fully assess oral and dental health and provide preventative care/advice alongside any restoration required
- Aesthetics – those interested in cosmetic treatments such as whitening, implants or invisible braces will need to find a private practice, as these are simply not available in the NHS
Private Dentistry London
The Smart Smile Clinics
The Smart Clinics has two highly equipped dentistry studios in London, with one based in the South Kensington/Brompton Cross area and the other in Wandsworth, recently refitted to very high standards.
Popular treatments include:
- General Dentistry – checkups, hygiene and dental care for adults and children
- Root Canal – specialist treatment for root canal
- Dental Implants – replacement of teeth with titanium implants and porcelain crowns
- Gum Disease – care and prevention
- Tooth Whitening – safe and effective
- Veneers – to correct a variety of issues including colour, chips, cracks, gaps and shape of the teeth
- White Fillings – unlike traditional grey fillings, these are not noticeable at all
- Dental Bonding – repair chips, re-build worn teeth, close gaps and cover discoloration
- Cosmetic Dentistry – veneers, whitening, crowns and more
An attractive dentistry membership scheme is available which includes dental examinations, hygiene discounts of treatment. However, patients are also welcome on a ‘pay as you go’ basis.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Private Healthcare London
The Smart Clinics is a private healthcare company established in 2013, offering a membership-based alternative to NHS care for individuals and families.
Telephone our team on 020 7052 0070.