Mental Health in the Workplace
October 10th is World Mental Health Day and this year, the theme is ‘Mental Health in the Workplace’.
This event raises awareness of mental health issues and the focus on the workplace has been a powerful one, putting the mental health of employees to the forefront and showing companies/employers how they can better support their teams.
Work is generally thought to be a positive for good mental health. Yet a negative work environment can lead to mental health problems.
Equally, when an individual suffers from mental health issues that are not work-related, the workplace can be a difficult environment where support or lack of can make a huge difference to a person’s wellbeing and recovery.
The Mental Health Foundation say that the value added to the economy by people who have (or have had) mental health problems is estimated to be as much as £225 billion per year – equivalent to 12.1% of the UK’s total GDP (gross domestic product). However, a recent WHO-led study estimates that productivity lost due to depression and anxiety disorders actually cost the global economy US$ 1 trillion each year. Therefore it is imperative for companies to support their employees not only for social reasons but also economic.
- NHS figures show that:
- 1 in 4 Brits are affected by mental illness
- Prescriptions for mental health conditions doubled in the last 10 years
- 1 in 3 GP sick notes for work are due to mental health issues
- Business in the Community carried out their own survey of mental health at work, which showed that:
- 60% of employees experienced symptoms of poor mental health related to work
- Less than 1 in 4 managers had received any training on dealing with mental health issues at work
Mental Health Services
The Smart Clinics offers vital services for health, mental health and wellbeing:
- Private GPs – often the first port of call for any mental health concerns, our friendly and sensitive GPs will listen to patients before deciding the best course of treatment, which could involve prescription medication or referral to other experts
- Psychological Services – specialist therapy. Services that may be of interest for mental health issues include Psychotherapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Life Coaching, Humanistic Counselling, Psychiatry, Hypnotherapy. Clients can self-refer or be referred by our or their own GP
- TMS Treatment – repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation therapy at our London clinic with Smart TMS
Services for Companies
The Smart Clinics based in London offers a range of fully compliant services specifically for companies.
Private Healthcare London
The Smart Clinics is a private healthcare company established in 2013, offering a membership-based alternative to NHS care for individuals and families.
The Company describes itself as:
“London’s pre-eminent integrated healthcare clinics”
The company offers patients a choice of two conveniently located and comfortably equipped clinics at Brompton Cross (South Kensington) and Wandsworth, both of which now offer excellent private dentistry services in well-equipped studios.
Telephone our team on 020 7052 0070.